St Margaret's College has always accommodated boarders from 1910 to the present day.
There have been many boarding houses over the years at St Margaret's College. The school has always made an effort to have enough accommodation for the students. The first boarding house was located at 28 Armagh Street and when the number of boarders increased, the school released a house at 82 Bealey Avenue. There have been many other boarding houses that have been at various locations such as Papanui Road, Cranmer Square and Winchester Street. One of the current boarding houses, Kilburn House was opened in 1922 and was named Kilburn House in 1941. In 2010 the school refurbished the inside and outside of Kilburn House.
Boarding life has changed significantly over St Margaret's history. Many of the original rules have changed. One of Kilburn houses rules was that: No girl may wash her hair without permission except on Saturday mornings. This is changed as girls may wash their hair any day they wish.